Happiness

Happiness

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Star Spangled Strawberry Shortcake



National Strawberry Shortcake Day is June 21st. Now, we love strawberry shortcake. But, you know how sometimes you have to change things up a bit to keep it interesting? So here's our our twist on an old classic....

With 4th of July coming up I thought it would be fun to come up with an Independence Day inspired dessert. I was thinking along the lines of strawberries and blueberries. Totally typical and a little less than exciting. More for me than the kids because they love any time we get dessert. And then an idea started to brew.

When Amberly helped me to make the Red, White and Blueberry Yogurt Parfait we happened to see some gorgeous starfruit in the produce section at our neighborhood market and decided to buy some and give it a try. Other than eating it plain, I didn't know what else we would do with it.

That's when I came up with the idea of a fun 4th of July type dessert. Because I love angel food cake I decided to go that route.



However, I wanted to avoid the unhealthy cool whip type topping with hydrogenated oils. Lucky for me I still had some Mountain High Yoghurt left over after making the S'mores Yogurt Parfait.



And that's just how ideas build; first you think of one thing, then another idea builds off of that one and you might change it up and go a totally different direction, then make some tweaks. Finally you have your final concept. I guess that's how new recipe ideas are born. Maybe there's hope for me in the kitchen yet!


 First, I recommend you rinse your berries in a vinegar bath.




Being that I've never had star fruit before, we watched a video to find out how to prepare it. Pretty simple, right?



Next, slice the angel food cake loaf into 6 even pieces.



Then mix one cup of yogurt and 1/4 cup of your favorite all fruit spread.  This ends up being a delicious dessert topping that I am sure we will find more uses for in the future.





Rinse off your berries from the vinegar bath.
Quarter the strawberries.
Place one slice of angel food cake on a plate.
Pour a few tablespoons worth of your dessert topping over cake.
Place the quartered strawberries around the cake.
Place as many slices of starfruit as you desire on top of the cake.
Pour more of the dessert topping over if you like.
Lastly, add your blueberries.


In just a few minutes later you have a beautiful Star Spangled Strawberry Shortcake



Thank you for checking out Mountain High Yoghurt. Doing so makes it possible for me to continue blogging. Be sure to download your coupon on their site HERE.
For more simple inspiration and healthy recipes visit Mountain High Yoghurt on their FacebookInstagram and Pinterest pages!


For some other summer time favorites you may want to try these:

   

This post has been linked up over at:

Mom's Small Victories

No comments:

Post a Comment