Happiness

Happiness

Monday, July 6, 2015

Easy DIY Kids Patriot Visor

Every year we get the kids a new patriotic shirt for the 4th of July. I had been pinning ideas left and right to find something easy and functional for the kids to make for the 4th of July, but hadn't quite hit the jackpot. Then when I was at Michael's shopping for supplies for our Freedom Wreath and saw these plain white visors, I knew that was the perfect thing to get for the kids.



I'm a total wanna-be crafter (that means I think a project will be totally fun until it comes to taking action... then I stall) and my daughter is really into crafts, so when she agreed that these would be fun to make, I knew I had scored. Pleasing everyone is just never going to happen so Kyle almost declined a visor altogether but I reminded him that when the other two kids would be wearing theirs he might feel left out. He went for it.  I don't know what it is, but I just feel better when all 3 kids participate in our holiday traditions. This is normal, yes?

These Easy DIY Patriot Visors are not just easy, they're inexpensive AND it's a fit for all age ranges! Plus, being that it is for the 4th of July, which is typically very sunny, this is 100% functional. When a craft is functional I feel better about buying the supplies.

Supplies:

white visors (these were a dollar at the craft store)
red and blue 3D puffy paint (these were just over a dollar each for the 1 oz bottles)
red and blue foam stickers (Amberly had some in her craft stash)
paper towels to wipe up any paint accidents



When Amberly brought down what red and blue foam stickers she could find I silently wondered if the boys would complain about there being an abundance of hearts and not enough other shapes.... Nope. Not a word was mentioned about it! AND they all used hearts on their visors. So glad I kept my concerns to myself on this one. I think if I would have said anything that my 8yo son would have been deterred from the craft project.



I advised them to plan out any words they wanted to write with the paint and do that before placing stickers so they would have enough space. Otherwise I did not give them any instructions as this was meant to be a form of self expression and not about doing it right.



Owen likes squiggles and sort of marching to the beat of his own drum!



I don't know if your kids are anything like mine, but sometimes when mine are working with paint and something doesn't turn out the way they envisioned it, a meltdown over a ruined project or two has happened in the past. So this time I set the expectation. "This is a fun way to celebrate the 4th of July, however your visor turns out will be just perfect because you got to make it." Well, that setting the stage worked really well because everyone was pleased with their project.

Despite my telling them that paint will smear if they touch it when wet, there were a few fingers that found their way into the paint. Well, that's life with kids. Sometimes you deliver a message and everyone hears it. Other times you repeat something multiple times and it falls on deaf ears.

I love that we stumbled upon those whit visors and turned them into Freedom Visors. Who knows, maybe this will be a new tradition.

The only thing I would have done differently is make one myself!

PIN  THIS to your 4th of July board:


I've linked this post up over at:

what katy said

No comments:

Post a Comment