Happiness

Happiness

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Random Rainy Days, Let's Make Random Parfaits!

June gloom stuck around all the way til the end here in southern California. We even had a bit of  a thunder and lightening storm! It's not something we see very often here and I sort of chuckled when my husband turned off all the electronic devices when the storm was right over our house. I grew up in Minnesota and I really don't know if that's something people do because I was just 9yo when we moved to CA. I'm glad that my husband is always thinking about safety! He's definitely proactive when it comes to stuff like that.

I was delighted that Kyle thought to take out a fun game for everyone to play. We've had this game Brain Quest for awhile but only recently has it appealed to Owen who's six.  With the culture of electronics in our lives it is kind of a nice to see how readily they enjoyed playing this game together. But, all good things must come to an end. So when things started to wind down with the game (you can read that as some boredom set in or they began bickering, frankly I don't remember), I suggested we make a snack.

Parfaits may not be the immediate thing that comes to mind on a rainy day, but I had an abundance of yogurt and blueberries and like to make sure we optimize what we have on hand. Yogurt and fruit is just fine most of the time, but we needed to make this an activity, you know stretch it out a bit and keep the kids busy.

So, since we had some random rain, why not make some random parfaits?




Ingredients:

1 cup organic vanilla flavored yogurt (the kids love Stonyfield smooth and creamy variety)
1/3 cup peach preserves (this one I picked up at Jimbo's - a cool local natural food store)
1/2 cup granola
1/2 cup fresh organic blueberries
1/2 banana sliced



What's awesome about yogurt parfaits is the fact there are no rules, you can really layer it how you want. You can see from the image below we chose to go yogurt, peach preserves, yogurt, granola, banana, blueberries. The kids ended up mixing everything up. Again, no wrong way to enjoy your yogurt parfait!

This yields 3 kid sized parfaits. The cups are 10 oz size. As you can see they are maybe 6 oz servings.



Sometimes our parfaits are not typical flavor combinations but what I've learned is that you just don't know until you try it! The kids gobbled these right up. Kyle specifically wants to make these again next time. It will just depend what fruit we have on hand! Random is not all that bad.




Oh and here's a picture of the kids playing Brain Quest.



And per his usual, Owen had to strike a pose when he saw I had the camera in hand.



The rain passed more quickly than I would have hoped. Even I was eager to open up the laptop and catch up. But for a little bit we really disconnected from media. For that I am grateful for the rain. Plus, we are in a serious drought here in California so we've been appreciating every rainfall and reminding ourselves not to complain.

What does your family do when it rains? Share in the comments below. I'm working on a rainy day post and your ideas may be included!

No comments:

Post a Comment