Happiness

Happiness

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bucket List addition - Learn how to make peanut butter pie #APieforMikey

Last night I saw a couple of friends rsvp to an event that caught my attention. I didn't know that opening up the link would break my heart a little. I'm not a foodie, I long to be one, but it didn't matter if I was part of the community, the tragedy of a loving wife and 2 girls losing their husband/father touched a sensitive nerve with me. Having lost my father when I was in high school, I had to stop and reflect.

In that link there was the story of how twitter was lifting up this family by fulfilling on a simple request - Make a peanut butter pie and share it with someone you love. Really? That's all she asked. It must be true all the beautiful things I saw written about Jennifer Perillo. I never even tried peanut butter pie before let alone thought about making it. I got the message late, but I tell ya, I am moved by the way she wants us to express love through food for others, because you never know when it will be the last time. I'm adding this to my bucket list. I don't even have a bucket list posted, but will soon. My committment is to have the pie made in 72 hours. Not only will I be sharing it with my family and get to enjoy something special in the kitchen with my daughter (and maybe the boys), but I'll pause a moment and remember my Dad. He probably would have liked peanut butter pie, it sounds like just the thing he would have enjoyed.

The amazing things I saw on Twitter stuck with me. You may want to check out the hashtag #APieforMikey to see for yourself. Then today my friend Julie Frans of Dining Details posted on facebook this beauiful... I don't even know what to call it... but you do need to see the blogpost that has a video simply done, so sweet, with such love, my eyes welled up.

I'm learning more about Jennie as I read her "about me" page and learn that her father died when he was only 49. You can see in a video she posted "one last dance" that Mikey didn't look like your prime candidate for a heart attack. I'm hurting for her so much right now. I think about all the people who did hear of this story and event, yet did nothing. I suppose in some way you have to relate to it in order to be moved to take action. I'm amazed lately at the timing of events and how many connections are made, even if in part those events and connections are sad.

Mommy's slice of the pie (or my two cents) Tomorrow will be uplifting. I'll make that pie, Jennie, thank you for the beautiful inspiration - they say your true character is revealed in your darkest days. I imagine you're a saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment