Happiness

Happiness

Monday, July 6, 2015

Slater's 50/50

We stopped at Slater's 50/50 for lunch not too long ago and took the kids. Cory and I had only been once before and I'd been looking forward to going back. I didn't realize another one had opened just up the freeway from us. Since we don't get down to Liberty Station too often this San Marcos location is perfect because it is just a hop, skip and a jump away. Which could pose a problem since I fantasize about this dessert I had once upon a time.

In case you haven't had the pleasure of sinking your teeth into a Slater's 50/50 burger, let me tell you what that 50/50 means.... their burgers are 50% ground bacon and 50% ground beef. You can opt for 100% ground beef, but I don't know why you'd pass on having all that bacon literally fill up your burger! Want to know what else is awesome about the meat here? They get their beef from a local beef supplier that practices humane treatment of animals, practices sustainability and uses no hormones or antibiotics. This is a practice I can only hope will spread! I'm finding that these cool local hipsters are shaking things up with their way of thinking when it comes to serving up natural food choices. Here's one more fun fact that you're going to love.... they weigh the burger after it is cooked. That means you'll be pleasantly surprised by a bigger than usual burger compared to other joints that weigh the burger prior to cooking.


For an appetizer we went with the Fried Bacon Mac N' Cheese Balls. If you pass on these you are making a big mistake. Bacon and Mac N' Cheese together in a ball is a treat to savor! At first the kids didn't want to try them but I convinced them and they were glad. In fact they wanted to order more!


I'm always eager to scout a restaurant for being family friendly. Slater's did not disappoint. They had coloring sheets and crayons for the kids, several choices on their kids' menu and the servers were super accommodating. My daughter was not planning to eat since she lost her appetite on the drive home from an away game. But when the boys' meals arrived, she suddenly found her appetite and when we asked to place an extra order it came out very quickly.


Slater's has a really cool Design It option where you can create the burger of your wildest dreams. And given that kind of freedom was too much to pass up for my husband. I couldn't recall every detail of his burger invention. You will want to put your creativity to the test and develop your own burger anyhow.

I went the traditional route and got the 50/50. It's outstanding! The sunny side up egg not only makes it a mess, it really pulls the whole burger together. The burgers are brought to your table with a knife staked in it. Kind of one of their signature deals there.





We made the mistake of skipping dessert this time. When we went there just the two of us we shared an amazing bacon brownie sundae. The combination made me curious and when I took that first bite I was hooked. And I've been craving it ever since. That just means we have to visit again soon!

The atmosphere is hip and casual. When looking around I thought "I bet this place is the spot on a Friday or Saturday night!"

There are 7 locations throughout SoCal, so find one and sink your teeth in!

You can find this on my Restaurant Reviews Pinterest board. PIN IT now.


No comments:

Post a Comment