Happiness

Happiness

Monday, June 29, 2015

Organic Tropical Smoothie Surprise

Amberly asked if we could make a smoothie. I was busy working at the computer so I asked her to give me 30 minutes to wrap up. She agreed and dutifully went off to play video games with her brother. Well, 37 minutes later she came back to peer over my shoulder and take note of the time on the laptop. Alright, alright, alright....



She got busy getting out the ingredients and asked that we only use half the amount of yogurt that we normally do because this particular brand in our fridge (our first and last time ever picking this one up) had too strong of a taste and changed the flavor of the smoothie. Okay. Now I had to put on my thinking cap and think about what else we would add to make up for using half the amount of yogurt. Looking at the bag of organic frozen fruit I noticed it was a tropical feel. "Hmm... I think we'll add coconut oil." To be honest, we made this twice, the second time with the tweaks made it perfect!

We had just enough mango nectar (juice) left. Whew! Nothing like having an idea in your head and your fridge makes you change your plans.




INGREDIENTS FOR ORGANIC TROPICAL SMOOTHIE SURPRISE

1 cup mango nectar
2 heaping cups frozen fruit (I got this Organic Wawona daybreak blend at Costco - pull out the strawberries so what is left are frozen pineapple, mango and peach chunks)
1/2 cup yogurt
1 banana
1 ice cream scoop coconut oil (we love Nutiva)
1 heaping tablespoon hempseed (again Nutiva)

Directions:

As I've mentioned in my last smoothie post, start by putting the juice into the blender first. I happen to have a Vitamix and love it! Next add the yogurt, the idea is that the more liquid ingredients go in first. Add everything else except coconut oil. Liquefy the coconut oil. I did this in a glass measuring cup in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Go back to the blender. Cover blender. Blend on high for a minute or two. Now pour in the liquid coconut oil through the blender opening while still blending, continue blending on high for 45 seconds.








I've been adding in hempseed to our smoothies for a boost of protein and omega 3s. My kids can taste it if I add too much so I stick to the 1 to 2 TBSP and it is undetectable.



I happened to have fresh mango on hand and thought to garnish my tropical treat!


I hope you give this one a try! If you want to save it for later PIN THE IMAGE BELOW  to your "smoothie" or "healthy snack" or "breakfast" board!



If you enjoyed this post you may want to check these out... just click on the image!:

                 




No comments:

Post a Comment